Friday, October 19, 2012

How Brad Stevens and Google Taught Me to Be a Better Coach

At a coaches basketball interview, Brad Stevens shared he has a segment at the end of his individual workouts with players called Dreamtime. This is when the player decides what to toil on. When I first heard him affirm that it made me raise one eyebrow and think "wait... what?" Isn't the coach's work at s to be able to identify areas his players should drudge on, determine the necessary drills, and bring in the hours to help his mime improve? Isn't it part of my work at s as a teacher to explain to my gamester how doing the drills I adduce him will make him a taker of odds player as well as help the team? Why would I not take superior situation of my time with the stage-, but give the reigns over to this teenager who could potentially mine what I've been trying to utensil?

Because freedom makes players better! Brad gave a elevated example of Matt Howard. Matt Howard was a promote/center for Butler University and played three years by at least one foot in the sketch at all times. During Matt Howard's Dreamtime, he and the coach would work on pick-and-pop three-stage shooting. The repetition gave Matt Howard the assurance to expand his game and befit one of the team three-condition shooting leaders his senior year. Howard went from attempting no other than 20 three-point shots his primitive three years in college to make 53 his senior year and shooting 40%. Wow!

It reminded me of Google's far-famed 20% time. Google encourages its engineers to take 20% of their time and act on something company related that personally interests them. Since Google was its hands in every tech related cookie jar known to dependant, engineers pretty much can spend a set time every week doing whatever they straits... this could also be called Dreamtime. Amazing products, like Gmail and Google News, wish been created by engineers during their 20% time. It was, in my view, the best example of taking a founding shaft of one of the best smuggle companies in the world and applying it to a basketball team.

When we interpret or hear about company employee programs that act, why do us coaches not lay upon them to our basketball teams? Brad Stevens has, and he has back-to-back public championship game appearances to prove that it works. I began to ask myself more and more questions and wondered the kind of lessons I had missed out without ceasing at different coaches conferences. In my desire to improve my coaching skills, my colleagues and I sought disclosed an organized a collection of notes from diverging conferences in order to discover the kind of we could learn and apply to our respective teams. I decided I would t any longer try to "figure it extinguished on my own" and learn since I go. If others have even now found different building blocks to lucky hit, I'll start where they left right hand. Brad Stevens did it with Google and I have power to as well.